[project1dev] Re: Skill Design Input

  • From: Hanaan <designs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:10:19 -0500

yeah i agree on the replay value.  you guys have great reasons for talents.

i just dont want us to lose focus of gameplay purpose. In diablo the purpose was definitely for replayability. you can beat the game long before level 99. but getting there allows you to max every talent you ever want for the sake of simply smashing more monsters. it definitely served diablo's gameplay purpose. plus the meta game of talents tied in with the meta game of gear set collecting. once you beat the game you spent time just collecting items. that was the point of diablo at the end of the game.

gemcraft is very purposeful. the talents allow you to strategize each map. in the latest flash gemcraft (Cursed Treasure: http://deadwhale.com/play.php?game=1415), you cannot get the highest score without maxing some talent trees. its there for replayability and score topping after you beat the game.

at the end of god of war they pretty much make sure you max out every single weapon before beating the final boss. the reason? once you beat him you just replay the game on a different mode ...with all your abilities back down to level 1. the purpose in god of war is to feel like a god by the time you fight zeus. weapon upgrades served that purpose at all costs. no talent trees, you just decide where to spend your blood orbs as you collect them.

so these are just some examples of how we can keep focus on gameplay in our game while designing our talents. i want to emphasize i think everything said so far sounds cool and fun! im on board with whatever we do. just want to make sure we keep eye on our purpose as we design.

if we have talent trees or just "improve with play" mechanics, what purpose will they serve in actual gameplay terms as far as beating the game and overcoming challenges?

On 6/24/2010 7:00 AM, Nick Klotz wrote:
And I don't believe 'specialization' should be a forced choice in the beginning of the game, hindsight will limit the players ability to choose what they'd really want. Lightning may sound cool but you may find Earth being far cooler/more useful at later stages of the game. It should be determined naturally by the player through use of skills, generally somebody who wants to specialize will use that elemental skill more often, and end up dumping their 'insight' points for further progress.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:59 AM, Nick Klotz <roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    The way the trees are being designed now is, it's impossible to
    max out.
    You can max a skill, but not an entire tree [unless we later
    decide there's a reason for full mastery for regular game play]
    (Dragon for example, if you put every available point into it, you
    become 2 points short of full mastery).
    Maybe second or third playthroughs could allow for complete
    mastery and in return, very difficult enemies?

    I believe trees add a ton of depth and reply value to a game where
    otherwise static skill sets can become redundant and give the
    player less goals to achieve.

    On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:39 AM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Heres another wrench to throw in the gears (better earlier
        than later right??)
        Another possibility (not saying i think this is best, just
        throwing it out there) would be that when you start the game
        you are forced to choose your elemental specialization, and
        from there you are limited to the single elemental skill tree
        of your choice, along with the general "town" and "dragon" tree.
        On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM, Alan Wolfe
        <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

            You bring up an interesting point Hanaan (:
            I like talent trees in some games like...
            * Diablo / WoW - use talent trees to customize your
            character to be unlike other characters and be a unique
            type of fighter.  A good way to make your character more
            unique.  Kinda adds some replayability cause you can
            replay the game with a different type of character,
            customized your own way, and it's a different experience.
            * Gemcraft (flash game) - the talent tree in that game is
            just how you get more powerful.  You choose what you get
            stronger at, but you can replay any level as many times as
            you want to level up moer and spend more points in the
            talent trees til all the skills are maxed out.
            I dont like talent trees in some random flash games
            because they are pointless (you dont really have a choice)
            or in some other games, you are just going to max
            everything out in the end anyways so why bother (gemcraft
            to a degree but kind of not... also fable 2).
            I kinda pulled adding talent trees outa the air to add
            more depth to our game but are they appropriate?  Maybe we
            should talk about their purpose some in our game (:
            #1 - Do we want talent tress to be there to customize your
            character to have a unique game play experience / promote
            replay?  I think this could be an appropriate use of
            things.  We'd have to design the trees / game with this in
            mind up front though so this is a good time to think about it.
            #2 - Do we want to use talent trees as the way of the
            player choosing how they get more powerful each level, but
            in the end they basically max everything out and become
            godlike?  We could go this way maybe but shrug...
            What do you guys think would be fun / a good way to go for
            our game?
            On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Hanaan
            <designs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            <mailto:designs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                very nice ideas guys.

                I think the core question is how important are the
                skills to gameplay.  if we are aiming to keep it
                simple, then all the skills should serve a direct
                purpose to gameplay in my opinion, instead of just
                having a variety of skills for skills sake.  talent
                trees are a meta game.  whenever theres a talent tree
in a video game it serves as alternate advancement. unless this is our aim in the game, im not seeing the
                point in talent trees.

                a good example of functional, fun skills in a game is
                actually god of war.  comes to mind because ive been
                playing it lately, hehe :)  Kratos has many different
                weapons, all with different styles, looks, feels and
                purposes.  but every single one has a purpose very
                important to gameplay.  you gain new power moves by
                using weapons basically (killing things) so everyone
                likes that idea already.

                im not a huge fan of talent trees unless the point of
                the game is character building. but simple spell
                improvements/enhancements and such can be pretty
                complex even though simple as someone already put it.

                On 6/23/2010 2:10 PM, Kent Petersen wrote:
                Sounds good man. I like where you are going with
                this. I don't care about penetration in particular as
                much as I was trying to make a point in variety being
                good. I like what I hear.

                On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Nick Klotz
                <roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx
                <mailto:roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                    Each skill will have their own unique properties
                    as well as shared properties, penetration is not
                    'too much' of a consideration
                    unless there is going to be horde type attacks in
                    the 1st person view, overhead kind
                    of eliminates this variable.

                    Will there be differences between elemental
                    combat skills?  Oh hell yea there will be. I will
                    be working on creating a rough skill list over
                    the next week and releasing new information daily.

                    If anyone has any problem viewing the file I
                    uploaded please let me know and I can change the
                    file type to something compatible with what
                    programs you have. (:

                    And as always, if anybody has any other ideas,
                    suggestions, concerns, please voice them!
                    Feedback is the absolute most critical thing
                    during the design and concept phases!

                    On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 1:03 PM, Kent Petersen
                    <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                        I like the where you are going with this
                        system. I like how the skills you use will
                        get better with time. I have always enjoyed
                        that concept in games. It makes me want to
                        use my skills more to see how powerful they
                        will become.

                        Are there going to be specific differences
                        between the elemental combat skills? For
                        example fireball may have a blast radius
                        while lightning penetrates through targets.
                        Or is that going to be more of an insight thing?

                        On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Nick Klotz
                        <roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx
                        <mailto:roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                            Yea, the basic idea of it would be that
                            the basic skills you start out with are
                            still very useful and important at the
                            later stages of the game so its not like,
                            "oh I start with this but why level it
                            when I won't use it later"

                            Without getting into the art side of it
                            too much, yes I had thoughts of different
                            graphics such as larger fireballs, etc,
                            as the skill improved, at least as far as
                            the basic "bolt spells" go.

                            Glad you like the idea, any other input
                            or ideas, and feedback is surely welcome.

                            On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Alan
                            Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx
                            <mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

                                you know... the "using a skill to
                                make it better" idea is really awesome...

                                i really like the direction you are
                                going with all this (:

                                what would be really neat too would
                                be if we did something such as at