[project1dev] Skill Design Input

  • From: Nick Klotz <roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:45:42 -0400

So I've been mulling over ideas for skillsets, how they will work, various
variables, etc, and I've talked to Eric a little about balance and
simplicity vs complicating things just to be complicated, but I feel
complication adds depth.  In light of that, I wanted some input, because I
believe that complication adds tremendous depth and replay value if its
simple to the user.

I have in mind a couple dozen skills, along with 8 trainable skill trees,
with two separate types of level ups for all Elemental trees.  Player would
gain 3 points per level to use on the tree, this model assumes 17 playable
areas (9 overworld, 8 first person) and a potential of 4 total level ups per
area, so an assumed max level of 68 (game could be playable at final stages
at much earlier levels for players who decide not to go over an area several
times to gain exp)
Skill Trees: [Elemental] Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Lightning [Other]
Population, Town, Dragon

Insight leveling and combat leveling are combined to figure the total
overall power, however mastering one skill may not be the most beneficial to
the player, allowing for these two types provide the ability to specialize
as well as keep the player balanced in other areas.

[Insight Leveling]
Skill points sent into the trees via leveling will increase overall
abilities, and unlock more sub-skill sets, including the ability to combine
skills for devastatingly powerful attacks.  There will be enough of these to
insure that spreading out points will not necessarily yield any advantage or
disadvantage over dumping all points into a specific skill.

[Combat Leveling]
Combat leveling is gained via using Elemental skills.  Combat leveling
increases all attributes of all skills under its relative element, example:
Max level for any element or skill is hard capped at 50

Fireball - Skill Name
Fire - Skill Element
ManaCost -
CoolDown - Time in seconds between being able to use the skill
Speed - Speed the physical attack moves from player to target
BaseDamage - Damage
DamageRadius -
SplashDamage - Damage outside the normal damage radius
SetOnFire - %Chance to set target on fire causing damage over time
OnFire_Damage - Damage per second target takes
OnFire_Duration - Time in seconds target will remain on fire
FireResistance - %Resistance player gains from fire based damage

[image: Capture.PNG]

If more information is necessary on examples and how this type of leveling
system will work, please feel free to ask, I have more notes, and am
currently working on more material, but I don't want to get too involved
with this method unless approved.

PNG image