[project1dev] Re-useable peices used when building a map?

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:48:57 -0700

What I meant by re-useable peices is for instance in this cave level we
would have a "straight cooridor" cave section, an "elbow" cave section, an
"open area" cave section etc and just re-used them to build an area.

That would make it so the artists only had to decorate a few peices instead
of having to decorate one large level, it would make it so that builders
wouldn't have to build a lot of temp art for the terrain, and it would mean
the engine would have to keep less models in memory which results in less
memory usage and faster rendering times (but so far are rendering times are
fine).

After the builders make a map and make it functional with the pre-defined
peices, the enemies added in, etc, then someone would go through and
decorate the level with props, and then it would get a lighting pass on top
of that.

To me this makes the most sense, but what makes sense to the coder doesnt
always make sense to the artist or scripter.  I talked to eric and he liked
the idea but thougth a hybrid for this would be best since sometimes you
dont want to stick to the strict peices already made, which completely makes
sense.

What do you think Kent?  Do you think that would work well for building?