[project1dev] Re: Random thoughts!

  • From: katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 20:17:32 -0700 (PDT)

Ahh, I get it now.

Thanks Alan =)

That makes sense. I am new to this whole game thing remember.

I am used to cinematics not logistics. =)

Thanks for the lesson.

Hope your having a good one. We missed you at KICK ASS!

The movie was KICK ASS! You have to see it, it was great. =)

Katie

From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [project1dev] Random thoughts!
To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Friday, April 9, 2010, 11:28 AM

I was just thinkin of 2 things that might be pretty cool to play around with in
our game.

#1 - Faking reflective floors

One simple way to do reflective floors is to have a see through floor and have
the same objects below the floor that you have above it, but flipped over so
they are upside down.

Using this technique, we'd have to use script to put a model of the player
under there too upside down, matching the movements (and later... animations)
of the player (and any other dynamic objects) above to complete the illusion.

Also with this technique, the floor could just use a texture with an alpha
channel, so that way we could do stuff like make it semi transparent yellow if
we wanted the ground to appear "golden" and we could even put non transparent
parts onto the texture so it could be something like marble where some parts
are reflective and some parts arent.

Also, any directional and point lighting would have to be set up under the map
but be vertically flipped, but we should be able to handle that by just
creating another light volume for the underside of the map.

It might look pretty good, it'd be fun to play around with making a map that
did this and seeing how it looked (:

#2 - Making scripted events and sounds that tie into animations

If we have animations where we want it to play footstep sounds whenever the
player walks, or have certain things happen at specific parts of an animation,
we can set it up so that at specific keyframes it sends events to the game
scripts (in the form of a string such as "playsound footstep.wav" or
"SetPlayerModel blah.ms3d" if you wanted an animation to change the players
model, like if the old man waved a wand at you).

This is kind of cool cause with scripted stuff tied to animations, you just set
up handling the event script side, but from there, it's up to the animators to
decide at what point the things actually happen so if they want to make a wave
wand animation longer and more dramatic before it turns someone into a frog or
something, they can just modify the animation and put the animation event
string on the frame they want it to be, and the game will just work in the new
way.