[project1dev] Re: RPG plan of attack

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:45:42 -0700

Hey Chris,

You don't need to prove yourself, don't worry.

Anyone can learn how to use a tool to make games, but not everyone can have
a passion for making games.  You have the passion, and that's all you need,
the rest you'll figure out (:

This area is kind of a trial run for everyone and the engine itself too as
well, so theres going to be a lot of learning going on for everyone.

Here's how to download the game:

http://pyotek.com/projects/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5

Here's how to run the game and the controls:

http://pyotek.com/projects/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6

I can help you out tonight after work if you'd like (or whenever else works
for you).

The basic run down is that the levels are .lua files that live in the
scripts folder.

Lua is a scripting langauge and you can just open up those files with
notepad to check them out.

index.lua is the first script file that launches when the game runs (kind of
like index.html or index.php)

inside that file you'll see it has a line "dofile(...)" with a map name in
that.  If you change the map name in there to a different .lua file it will
run a different map at startup.

Anyhow, there is a basic super simple template map i made up for kent called
"simplemap.lua", if you change the dofile to run that map and check out that
map in a text editor, hopefully you'll be able to play around with it and
figure some stuff out (:

Also, there is a script help/reference file in the /docs/script help/
folder, just open up index.html in a web browser.

Also, kent is just learning this stuff too but he can probably help you out
if you get stuck!

Try it out if you want to from the docs, or I'll just give you a hand later
on (:

Oh and kent i have your map refresh idea on my todo list as the next thing
to do, that was a great idea.