[project1dev] Re: RPG plan of attack

  • From: Kent Petersen <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 08:30:39 -0700

It would be nice to be able to have a gui for creating levels. Currently, I
edit the lua file and run the game over and over. This approach can be
tedious, especially for fine tuning or slightly adjusting where the land
pieces go. I have not downloaded the model program yet. I am hoping seeing
the models before I try to place them will help.

I was also telling Alan earlier that my computer is pretty crappy. My comp
is a 1.2 ghz with 1.5 gigs of ram and a geforce4 equivalent video card. I am
hoping that any graphical interface made for map building will use the
minimal amount of resources.

I don't mind what we have at the moment. We can fairly easily switch between
the game itself and the lua files for editing. You can adjust starting
points for testing and we can also free fly in the game itself.

It would be nice to be able to quickly refresh the game to add in recent
changes. For example, if I had the game currently open and at the same time
I am editing the lua file and I added in a new model, let's say a new piece
of ground to stand on. I would like to be able to refresh the map I am
currently playing without quitting out of the game. Possibly press a refresh
button that would re-initilize the map without having to restart the game.
It would be extra awesome if I had a way to restart just the map and keep
the current player/camera location the same and a way to completely restart
the map including  the player/camera location

What kind of an interface where you thinking Chris?

What kind of stuff should this first dungeon be able to do? I was thinking
that it should have a minimum of a boss, a reward, regular enemies, and some
kind of skilled task (like a jumping portion and/or a puzzle to solve). I
liked Chris's idea of having the entrance different from the exist.

Should we post this stuff on the message board too?