[project1dev] Organization

  • From: katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 18:58:08 -0700 (PDT)

Here is my 2 cents...=)

What makes most sense to me, and what seems organizationally logical is to:

Make the heirarchy based on the areas. It seems like that would be the easiest
way to find things.

For example. Say I want to add something to the fortune teller tent. The first
thing I think of is what it is associated with ie. Fortune Teller Tent.

Then within those AREA folders could be sub folders that are specific to
certain elements. IE: Models IE.Whatever else you guys do...

I am of the opinion that textures should be kept with the models seeing as that
everytime you load a model it asks for the textures and if it isn't local to
the same place as the model then it either has to search for it, or it comes up
as a broken connection.

Then there could be things that are global, IE: used multiple times in
different areas.
So for that there could be a folder like "Environment Elements" or something
applicable.
Then within that folder there could be the same structure - Models, lighting
expression files, particle system elements/files, etc., etc.

That seems like it could wrap things up and keep it simple.

However its done, I think personally it would work best to be structured like a
heirarchy, kinda like when you build a skeleton for a character to animate...=)