[project1dev] Re: OT: microsoft, secretly our friend?

  • From: eric drewes <figarus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:19:49 -0400

hey i dunno if i posted to the list about this but there was recently an
issue in my town where the city council (without approval of the voters)
allowed a private corporation to install speed cameras in various locations
throughout town.  the locations were scouted by the company in order to
catch the most people speeding, not to help safety, etc, and it would
automatically mail a 100 dollar ticket to anyone going 5 miles per hour over
the speed limit. There was an expensive and complicated appeals process that
all but guaranteed that just paying the fine would be cheaper and easier.
OH, and did i mention the private company paid to have all the council
members and the mayor up at an expensive resort for a week for their sales
pitch?  this scam cost drivers 2 MILLION DOLLARS in fines in the first
couple of months - money sucked out of the local economy and put into the
pockets of the city with a big fat % going to the camera company!!!

i started a website called www.banthecameras.com and was involved with
getting the issue put on the ballot last november, not only were the cameras
permanently banned from the city, but the mayor and the rest of the council
members lost their jobs :) sometimes democracy works!!!