[project1dev] Re: OT: microsoft, secretly our friend?

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:40:46 -0700

As far as i know, the only person tried for breaking this law was kevin
mitnick

but hey, as a hacker or virus maker etc, they now just charge you with
terrorism if they feel like and then you have no civil rights, they can hold
you indefinately, you may never get a trial etc.

funny thing about that of course, they could charge anyone with terrorism
even if it isnt even remotely true, but as soon as they do that you are
removed from the civil rights system and have no recourse.

basically "they win"

mofos ):

but hey, re: this thread where microsoft is fighting the good fight for us,
MS and intel and some other companies were trying to make something called
TCPA which stands for "trusted computer platform <something>" but basically
what happens with that is uber lock down security on your desktop.

All programs are encrypted and can't write outside of their memory (makes
sense for stopping viruses and hackers) but the downside is that any
executable you want to distribute (our RPG for instance), you have to
provide your source code to the TCPA group (which includes microsoft, who we
know isnt above stealing code etc), and they review it (for a hefty fee) and
if they deem it safe and secure, and it follows THEIR programming standards,
they give you back the exe encrypted and then you can distribute it.

Theres some other bad things about it but i cant remember them at the
moment.

The scary thing is that MS keeps trying to do this, and when it gets fairly
public, people keep shooting it down, but then they just rename it and start
again.  The last incarnation (that i know of) was called Paladium, and whats
fucked up is something like 2 versions of windows media player ago, part of
the end user license agreement was a section where you were agreeing to
allow a software implementation of this TCPA/Paladium stuff.

It seems like they never did actually roll it out, but they got a bunch of
people's "permission" from having them install windows media player.

Maybe it's part of some long term evil plan.  Now that they have
"permission" they are just waiting for the time to strike? lol shrug.