[project1dev] Re: OT: microsoft, secretly our friend?

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:38:56 -0700

and one last part to this :P

The only person so far (to my knowledge) to have been charged with violating
the DMCA was a guy named Kevin Mitnick who cracked the ebooks encryption
algorithm and was distributing software to people to read encrypted ebooks.

another interesting thing this law does is make it so breaking encryption of
any kind or doing reverse engineering of any kind is illegal.

Even if i do poor encryption on data (ie pig latin, or write the words in
reverse), and you break it by ACCIDENT, thats against the law :P

In the encryption community, people used to put out encryption algorithms
and other people would break it and post "hey i broke your stuff and here's
how", so bad encryption would get killed off and good encryption, that
couldnt be broken even if you had the source code, would live on til someone
found out how to break it (if they ever did... RC5 has thwarted distributed
computing machines for decades even with a cash reward of 1 million dollars
to whoever can break a specific messages they encoded with it those decades
ago).

Anyhow, now in the encryption world, it's illegal to crack encryption so
this practice stopped which means the process of nautral selection within
encryption has stopped.

Now our data is no where near as safe, and only the criminals have guns.
Nice going America/DMCA/WTO!  Greed over all else!

ok, all done w/ my rant...