[project1dev] Re: Models + Texture Cost/Practices

  • From: katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 18:49:50 -0700 (PDT)

That is also really good and still artistically inclined. It is just geared
towards design instead of rendering if you will. Don't play down your talents,
we all have things that we are better at than others. I am not so good at
thinking of things on the fly, or coming up with designs on the spot without
some sort of direction. =)

From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>

To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, June 26, 2009, 6:33 PM

Very neat Katie!  That is neat.

The other thing besides seams you have to watch out for (for Nick's benefit) is
recognizable patterns.

Like, you know how you can look in the ceiling popcorn and see shapes? (or was
it the mushrooms we ate...?) lol but seriously you know what im talking about?

If you take a square of something organic looking like cieling popcorn or
grass, even if you get rid of the seams and then tile it, it often times will
still be obviously tiled cause of the recognizable features that are repeating
in an even grid.

like i said, there's some great tools to overcome this (katie if you are
interested you might check out something called Wang tiling.  it's a little
technical but it might be an interesting read).  Multitexturing is a good one.

If we have this problem we'll have to find a way to address it, but it's an art
issue more than a coding, building, or design issue (:

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:26 PM, katie cook <ktmcook@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey guys,

I don't know if you use photoshop. But I saw the thread about seams in
textures. Photoshop has an offset feature that helps build seamless textures.
Might be stating the obvious, just thought I'd throw it out there. =)

Date: Friday, June 26, 2009, 6:14 PM

Oh, that's awesome to know. So for temple walls that are meant to encompass the
entire room I can make a very large model (eg: 400x700x10) and have it textured
relatively cheaply, as a grainy stone type.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

That's a good question you ask.

basically the answer is there is no clear cut answer it's kind of something you
have to weigh on a case by case basis, but there's something good in this
battle of texture memory.

You can repeat textures across an object.

for instance you could have an image of a single floor tile and put it onto a
floor model, but tell it to repeat 10 times on X and 10 times on Y and it would
give you a 10x10 grided floor of that image - FOR FREE.

so texture repeating is a good tool to use

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Nick Klotz <roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hate to sound redundant; but when building a very large area (such as the
temple is turning out to be) is it cheaper to go with more models+smaller
textures or fewer models that are much larger+larger texture sizes?

We discussed previously that larger models cost about the same as smaller
models because it's based off of faces and vertices (correct me if I am wrong),
but that textures can become very costly when larger.

So what would the tradeoff point be? I just want to build a level optimally if
possible; though I know very little may be permanent.