[project1dev] Magic : revisited

  • From: figarus@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 15:40:26 +0000

Ok my motivation behind the restrictions on magic are as follows: I really
wanted to move away from the cliche's of fantasy rpg gaming and I also think
that saturating the game w/ magic sort of... Takes the magic away from it.  I
wanted the magic that was in the game to feel mysterious and special :P

That said, I am an absurdist at heart and I also like the idea of shrinking and
exploring a microworld, weird random stuff happening, wandering magicians that
do crazy things, etc.

I have been trying to reconcile the gap between keeping magic magical and also
having crazy shit happen.

I think the secret will be to make player/party magic a difficult path to
pursue and master giving it the aura of being for the elite only.  Also, rather
than having magic be everywhere and wielded by a lot of people, there will be a
lot of magic but wielded by a limited number, I was thinking like the "4 magi"
(open for name suggestions) that are like the accomplished mages of the world
and all are powerful and have magic-centered minions but they also sorta keep
to themselves and their own agendas so you run into them occasionally but magic
by and large doesn't exist.

My basic plan for this is we could have one evil mage lord, one good one, one
neutralish one and they all live in their own realms and then probably one that
wanders around and is crazy.  This is (of course) just the rough idea and
subject to change but what do you think?
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile