[project1dev] Importing models from other programs into milkshape

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:05:57 -0700

Wurmz mentioned yesterday that he had been tryin last night and couldnt get
it to import even the most basic object from maya.

When we previously emailed the maker of milkshape he said "oh, try breaking
the object into polys" since in the file we sent it was basically just a
cube, not the polys for each part of the cube.

In any case, that wasn't very helpful and it seems like the milkshape
importing is pretty crappy.  Booo!

I picked the milkshape format because it's a really nice and easy format to
load, and also a few books i read on 3d animation programming used milkshape
in their sample code so i thought it would be ok, especially since milkshape
advertises that it can import models of other formats!

Eric made a lil progress on this front by having C4D export as .x but he
still had problems importing textures ):

Unfortunately, changing what file format we use would be a lot of work!
What i was thinking though is that if Eric can't figure out the C4D
exporting to .x working with textures, or if we can't find another way to
make this work, is maybe I could make a seperate program that is like, a
maya to ms3d converter or something.

Is maya a good format to use as a "base format"?  Or is there another pretty
universal 3d format that most things can load and save?