[project1dev] Re: Hey Gabriel, ready to do some animation stuff?

  • From: gabriel taylor <aidyn66@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 23:13:26 -0700

Sure, sounds good. I don't know Milkshape itself, but I'm sure it can't be too hard to figure out. I admit I've been busy these last two weeks with a bunch of stuff happening in life at the moment, but I'll try to get this started this weekend, so we can move forward with the testing. Is there a certain format or method of exporting animations from Milkshape for import into the engine in particular that we need?

Alan Wolfe wrote:
Hey Gabriel,

I was just thinking, we can start on some animation stuff in preparation of the new animation system if you want to.

In fact it'll give me some data to test with and it'll make sure we're handling all the cases needed for a good animation system.

Eric chime in if I'm mis speak at all (:

Ok so first off what we need is a model of a humanoid (it doesn't have to be complex... it can look like a test dummy or a stick figure or whatever you want, it doesnt even need to be textured, we just need something humanoid).

Then, we need to get that guy imported into milkshape.

From there, we need to give it a skeleton and make a basic idle animation.

Then, we need a handful of other basic animations like walking, waving, jumping maybe, just a couple random animation things like that.

When that's done (or while this is going on) I'll be able to hook these animations up into our anim system and show them in game so you can say if anything looks ugly or needs to be done different ways.

So i guess first up is we need a basic humanoid model, and then from there we can work on getting it imported into milkshape (Eric or katie should be able to help figure that out!).

What do you think? Sound good?

Eric: this will help us develop our "base skeleton" that all humanoids in the game have as well, so is a good prequel to character generation stuff