[project1dev] File Organization

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 20:27:20 -0700

Ok so this topic keeps coming up, maybe it's time to figure it out (:

=============
Question 1
=============

How do we want to organize files?

For instance one way, if our game is broken up into chapters (i think it is
but is that right eric?) we could organize by the chapter something first
appears in, as well as location.

For instance!  voidmap and tent art could go in...

/Art/Models/Chapter 0/Voidmap/
/Art/Models/Chapter 0/Tent/

then, lets say we start working on a town that leads to a forest that has a
lot of different maps (and lets say this is for chapter 2), we could put the
art in folders like...

/Art/Models/Chapter 2/UberVille/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/UberVilleSewersA1/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/UberVilleSewersA2/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/UberVilleSewersB1/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/UberVilleSewersB2/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/MysticForestA1/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/MysticForestB1/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/MysticForestC1/
/Art/Models/Chapter 2/MysticForestC2/

the "A1", "C2" etc is like, grid coordinates of the map (letters are X axis,
numbers are 1 axis?) so that for places with multiple maps, we know where
things are located kind of.  It doesnt have to be really strict cause not
everything is square or grid shaped but as long as we do something to give
an idea of location and try to standardize it as much as possible it should
help a lot.

Ok so you say "well what the heck, you might go to a town in chapter 1 and
then revisit it in chapter 3, where does it go?" so i'm thinking it should
go in the place where it FIRST showed up, so in this case the town would go
in the chapter 1 directory.

Ok so what about re-usable objects like trees, chairs, tables, treasure
chests etc.

What if we had a folder like...

/Art/Models/Misc/

and then in there we could have subfolders like "furniture" and "trees" etc.

That's my rough idea... good? bad? anyone got a diff or better idea? (:

=============
Question 2

Right now we have art in one folder, models in a subfolder of the art
folder, and then we have maps, enemies and trap scripts in another folder.

Do you guys think we should keep files seperated or should we put them all
together?  IE just have a "content" directory and scripts will live with
models and textures and sound effects all in the same folders.

If we have all the files together, on the one hand our content is more
organized cause it's all in the same directory structure, but on the other
hand there will be a lot more files per folder and it might get confusing in
places where there is a lot of art and lots of script etc.