[project1dev] [Design] The town being built

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 21:06:59 -0700

I have some things worked out for building the town and some things not yet
worked out.  Posting it to hear what you guys have to say about any and all
of it!

*Pretty much worked out*

#1 - find tiles on the world that are ok to build on because they aren't too
steep, they dont have anything obstructing them etc.  (already done...
generated from the nav mesh which is generated from the terrain model).

#2 - each tile is a 4x4 grid where a road runs through it horizontaly and
vertically at the "3s".  Check it out:

H H R H
H H R H
R R R R
H H R H

where H is "house" and R is "road".  This way there is road from every tile
to each neighbor tile so people and monsters can path through a town
unhindered.

Also, there is a 2x2 grid of house space in the upper left.  This is where
the 2x2 houses can go, or the 2x2 farm.  the other "H" places will be where
the 1x1 houses will go.

We can randomly rotate the houses and farms, or do some other things if we
need more diversity.  If it still looks too grid like maybe we can come up
with some solutions to that :P

#3 - im thinking we can paint the road onto the terrain using the decal code
(ie how we paint scorch marks onto the world).

#4 - if you don't instruct the town how to build, they will just build on
whatever tile is closest to the wizards tower that hasn't been built on
yet.  If there are damaged buildings, repairing those will take priority
over building new buildings.

#5 - if you DO instruct the town how to build, it has to build from the town
to the location.  IE there has to be a continuous line of built tiles from
where the wizard tower is to where you want the town to be built.  So, if
you tell them to build far away, it might take a while for them to build
along the path to get to there.

*Not Sure*

#5 - In the original act raiser game, the town went into a "build cycle"
every so many seconds.  Should we do the same or something different?  We
could do something like the town is under perpetual construction, and the
higher your population, the more people are out building stuff.

#6 - In the original game, when a new building is being built, a person
would run out from the central temple (ie our wizard tower's equivelant) and
would run to where the building would go, then essentially the building
would appear around them.  Should we do it the same way?  Or...??

#7 - In the original game, when a building was being built, basically it
would appear in stages.  Like a little wooden square wood appear, then 2
seconds later it would switch to looking like half the frame of a little
house, then 2 seconds later it would switch to being the full frame of a
house, then 2 seconds later it would be the fully constructed house.  Would
we like to do it that way?  Or any other ideas?  One idea I thought of is we
could actually have the houses have a skeletal 3d animation of them being
constructed out of their components.  Like a logs from a pile of wood would
form themselves into the frame (with or without workers present banging it
on hammers and stuff).  We could even make it look magical maybe like it was
being done with telekenesis or something?  Not sure.

Anyhow, what do you guys think about this stuff?