[project1dev] Re: Character creation

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:27:13 -0700

ok so i have an alterior motive for bringing this up haha

Basically what i'd like to do is make a system where we can have different
looking people wearing different (or random) peices of clothing and we can
populate the world with them.

So like... if you have a specific wizard guy you want in the game, you would
(via script or NPC settings for this NPC)
1) start with the male model
2) say it's extra tall and kind of skinny
3) choose a specific face from a collection of faces we have
4) pick the clothing you want him to wear (ie wizards_robe_purple and
wizards_hat_purple)
5) attach an item to his hand (wizard_staff_red)

and bam we have our appearance.

Or, let's say you wanted a group of rabble for a scene where the player was
getting lynched

you would say, for 20 people, do this:
1) choose a random gender
2) pick a random height and stalkyness from a range (ie if you want them to
mostly be fatter and shorter - or you want the women to be tall and skinny
and the men short and fat you can do this)
3) choose randomly from a set of faces you want on these people
4) randomly select various items of clothing and colors of that clothing
that would make sense for rablle to be wearing
5) randomly give some of them torches and pitch forks

If we come up with a general case solution to the issues of character
creation / item and armor fitting we can do some really cool stuff

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> think about putting pants on a man model vs a woman.
>
> women have curvy hips so that would make the pants model need to be
> different so the inside model doesnt poke through etc.
>
> we could make all the women look like men, or maybe all women wear
> only dresses but there are other options too
>
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Kent Petersen <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> To make it easier you would just want to have the body and head types to
>> keep similar dimensions
>>
>> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Kent Petersen <kentkmp@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>> Helmets can just be attached to the head and remove the hair model. Body
>>> armor could attach to the shoulders. I don't see it being more
complicated
>>> than attaching a sword or shileld.

Hair,