[project1dev] Re: Character creation

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 12:19:13 -0700

i think it'd be a cool feature to have if we can come up with a way
that it works without you guys having to make a ton of art and still
looks good.

of course - if you want to make a ton of art and satisfy it that way,
that's good too haha.

I have 2 ideas though...

#1) we allow you to make the player fatter / taller, all that does is
basically change the scale of the model on the Z and X axis (we can
maybe do some extra stuff but thats the main idea).  That way, if we
make armor that fits a charatcer scaled at 1:1 on X/Z, we know it will
fit a character that is taller or fatter, by scaling the armor by the
same amount.  I'm only unsure if this would look ok for the
characters, it might not look natural, but we could try it and see.
This would allow us to make a lot of varying looking armor that fits a
variety of bodies without a lot of art needing to be done.

#2) we re-use armor art by re-colorization.  This way, "a lot" of art
is made for a single peice of armor - like maybe 8 different types of
chain mail depending on the body type chosen.  But, that chainmail art
is only one of a few types of "base armor" models, and we can re-color
it to be red, blue, gold, etc based on the item itself.