[project1dev] Re: Art Concepts and Story

  • From: Hanaan <hanaan.fu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:42:04 -0600

Thanks for the info Alan.

And kent I have read the wiki. But its very fragmented and not in a cohesive format. So it is difficult to understand the story, game progression, and what the game is currently from the various disparate pages. eric: I did not see a link to the game anywhere on the site. Its possible Ive overlooked it. Can you send me a link to these game files to view that you mentioned? It would be helpful as "realistic" isnt very descriptive of the actual style of the game art. When I ask about style I mean more how all the art elements are being used together to create the environment.

thanks again everyone for your replies!

Alan Wolfe wrote:
Hey Hanaan,

The game in a nutshell is that you start as a disembodied soul floating in the void (this is the void area that we are trying to finish up right now).

In the void, you meet an old man who gives you a body and sends you on quests in the land of the living.

The game is going to be divided into a first half and a second half.

The first half is going to be broken up into chapters where you start out in the void, the old man sends you back to the land of the living, you do stuff (specific quest, linear storyline type things) and then return.

The storyline (correct me if im wrong guys) is basically that the old man is in a war against the gods. At the end of the first half of the game I believe you are going to get the choice whether to side with him or not, and what is available in the second half of the game will vary depending on your choice.

The second half is non linear gameplay where you have free movement around the world and there's adventures to be had.

Eric has the major overview parts of the storyline worked out but the details are being worked out as we need them.

Our development process is we plan out a milestone which is a bite sized chunk of the game to make and get concepts together and figure out the details, break it up into tasks and start developing.

When we are done, we start on the next milestone (:

The current milestone is to create the void map where you start the game.

In this area you meet the old man who will let you create how your character looks (we are saving that portion for a later dater and just having it give you a standard body for now).

Also in the area is a fortune teller tent where you go talk to a robotic fortune teller who asks you questions. Your character stats are based on the answers you give, but there is also a "secret" way you hack the robot and play a little minigame where if you win, you can assign your own stats. We have the minigame basically done, and are going to put in a place holder conversation with the fortuneteller since we dont have the stats system completely designed yet.

Lastly in the area is a temple where you are put through a couple "tests" which are easy and are just there to teach you the the controls of the game and the basics of combat when you fight the temple beast (which is what Katie is currently working on).

We've been on this milestone for too long, so right now we are just trying to get the models and everything else in this milestone finished so we can move onto the next one.

I don't know all the details of the next milestone but Eric said when you go back to the "land of the living" you are in a forest and i think theres some bandits there. Also in the next milestone there is going to be the first REAL minigame (the hacking minigame is a mini- minigame hehe), where you will get to play a poker like dice game. Kent has been working on this dice game and it's coming along pretty well. My last programming task was to implement the functionality needed to create multiplayer (over the internet) minigames so Kent is currently implementing that as well as AI for the game and finishing up the last of the details.

Basically as we get close to the end of this milestone, we'll start working out the details of our next milestone, grabbing reference art, making concept art and stuff like that.

Make sense?

Hope this helps, let me know if you have other questions (:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:15 AM, eric <figarus@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:figarus@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Also like we discussed yesterday, there are things coming up that
    I'd be happy to have your contributions as far asd concept art goes
    Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile