[project1dev] Re: Animation LODing

  • From: Matthew Morgan <MMorgan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:34:18 -0700

Hahaha, probably would run faster than the computer I have. I will be getting a
new one as soon as I move out of my apartment and have some cash=-D so if you
guys can give me an idea of what's good... I'm not so computer saavy.

From: Alan Wolfe
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 08:19:41 -0700
To: <project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

yeah i hope so too.... we'll have to make sure and keep graphic settings in
there so he can turn them down and have the game run ok lol

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 4:19 AM, <figarus@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:figarus@xxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:

Lol nick, I am guessing we will exceed those specs ;P

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

________________________________

From: Nick Klotz
Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 00:22:15 -0500

To: <project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

1.2ghz celeron, 64kb l2 cache. 356mb SDRAM (133). Video card is an nvidia
gforce something, 256mb

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:20 AM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Kent just got an upgrade but if not for that i'd say he had you beat every day
of the week (and twice on sunday)

but lol, what's your specs?  You may be right we could use your machine as the
min specs maybe...

and btw my comp is kinda old, i think like 2 years maybe more...  it's a P4
2.6GHZ w/ 1GB RAM so shrug.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Nick Klotz
<roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:roracsenshi@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I'm pretty sure my computer will end up becoming the low standard. If it runs
on this pos it'll run on dos.

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 12:11 AM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hey thats an idea Matt...

if animation takes a lot of CPU time we could have an animation quality setting
which would set the max instances of the animations higher or lower.

Neat idea (:

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM,
<mattthefiend@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mattthefiend@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Sounds awesome to me! Its nice to be able to scale down graphics as well for
slower machines.

From: Alan Wolfe
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 21:59:16 -0700
To: <project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Oh and we can do this in our game too if we need to as a preformance
optomization later on (:

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Alan Wolfe
<alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Ok so for those of you that don't know what LOD is, it stands for "Level of
detail" and in essence means that when things are farther away, or less
noticeable in some way, that you use less detail cause nobody notices, and that
saves you processing power and memory.

For example, objects that are farther away (models, mountains, etc) use less
polygons when they are far away since you can't tell the difference at a great
distance anyways.

It makes everything way nicer.

Anyhow...So animating models is expensive (takes a lot of CPU power).

Today i learned something really bad ass, an animation LODing technique.

So what the deal is, is you declare up front how many of a specific type of
animation are allowed to run at once.

So like... if you have 10 people all walking around using the same animation,
normally you'd have to pay the cost of processing that same animation 10 times.

The LOD technique is to say "only allow 3 maximum instances of that animation
to happen at once".

So what that does is only process 3 animations but have multiple people use the
same processed animation data.

If you set it to only 1 maximum instance, everyone would animate and walk in
unison which is really crappy, and if you do too high a number maximum
instances, too many people are animating and it eats up a lot of CPU.

So you basically find the balance and say "well its hard to tell that they are
sharing animations if you do 3 max" and then you have your magic number, and
the game runs faster.

It's kind of cool... just wanted to share it with everyone...

This e-mail is the property of Oakley Inc. It is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distribution
or copying of this e-mail, or the information contained herein, to anyone other
than the intended recipient is prohibited.