[project1dev] Re: 3d editors and our editor

  • From: "Chris Sherman" <cshermandesign@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: project1dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 03:04:34 +0000

I typically work in a 3d space from isometric or perspective. If you can
somehow figure out how to make mouse y + up and - down move along the x,y plane
and ignore z unless a modifier key is pressed like ctrl, that would be terrific
Sent from my BlackBerry

#1) If you hold the right mouse button down, you move around just like the
free camera... IE mouse look + WASD to fly around in 3d space
#2) if you let get of the right mouse button you can click on a model to
select it, which shows information about it and also displays 3 axis' on it
(ie X,Y,Z).
#3) You can click and drag an axis arrow to move the object.  Dragging the
mouse arrow up increases the position on that axis, dragging it down
decreases the position on that axis.

Ok so #3 is really wonky... and that's why i wanted to talk to you guys and
see what you think, especially the artists who have used various 3d editing
programs.

Trying to figure out what movement of the mouse in 2d space equates to what
kind of movement in 3d space along an axis is kinda tough.

What i was thinking might be better than #3 is maybe...
If you click on the X or Y axis arrow, the camera spins around so you are
viewing the model directly from above and then you can move the object
around from that overhead view.  If you click the Z axis it spins the camera
to the front so you can move it up and down.

That's still kind of wonky...

I've seen a few 3d editors (including the unreal level editor and actually
milkshape too) where the screen is seperated into 4 screens.
#1) Overhead view
#2) Side View
#3) Other side view
#4) realistic rendered preview

Anyone ever see a prorgram work well with a single viewport?  Or anyone have
any ideas to do so?

We could do the split viewport thing but if there's a decent way where we
don't have to, it would be nice to do cause it would be easier / quicker to
get done.