Re: wxWidgets download/install for cpp?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 23:41:14 -0500

Hi,

Well, it's a bit of a pain.  You need a truly massive file that's
about 200 megs.  Also, with code::blocks, you would need to set the
global variable.  Here's how to get it on there:

1.  Download and install the wx widget pack for version 2.8.10 from this link:

http://wxpack.sourceforge.net/Main/Downloads

2.  Download takes a while because it's over 200 megs.  The folder it
creates is about a gig so make sure you have plenty of room on your
harddrive.  When running the installer, pick full installation and
just go ahead and hit all the defaults.

3.  Go get yourself a beer, some pizza and a movie while it does its thing.

4.  Once it's finished doing its thing, hit finish.

5.  Pull up code::blocks and create a new project under the gui
category and wx widgets subcategory.  It'll ask you for the global
variables to put in for code::blocks.  It's got one in there with a $
sign and an include statement.  Leave it alone.

6.  Now, it wants to know where the library is.  Tell it the base
location only.  There's a dot dot dot button which I suspect is
labeled browse in a way Jaws can't see and find the folder the
installer put the wxpack.  It's like \source\libraries\wx2.8\.  Just
monkey around with the look in combo box till you get to it.

7.  Hit finish or ok or whatever it calls it.  Might even be close if
I remember correctly.  Now, you will be able to create wx widgets
projects without ever having to tell the ide where those libraries are
again

Here's an alternative how-to written by someone on the code::blocks
wiki.  He even goes over how to download the source files and compile
it from scratch:

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=WxWindowsQuickRef

A lot of it didn't make sense to me at first and I wound up unable to
compile the sample template files to see what they did because it
couldn't find them or something.  I'd installed the wrong installer
(2.8.11 apparently doesn't have all its ducks in a row unless you
compile from source so, I got 2.8.10 and was able to get the horse to
sing.)  It also turns out that when you are creating your project, you
need to only create the release configuration and not the debug one.
I'm very new to this so, I can't really say why with any hope of
clarity.  Your new project will contain about five or six files plus
the main.cpp file.  You don't want to edit the widget files like
dialog.h and frame.cpp.  All sorts of screaming warnings about that
sort of thing in the initial comments of the files.  They were
interesting to look at though.  Some of them are pretty long.  Drove
home just how far I have to go to be messing around with this stuff, I
tell you.  I was able to create a dialog window program with an
obnoxious message when you hit the about button.  Nothing beyond that,
I'm afraid.  I'm satisfied that this really can be done with c++
though and got motivated to tackle it again till I understand exactly
what in the heck is going on.

Good luck,

Alex M

ps  With dev c++, you just go to the devpacks plugin and have it
install it for you.