Re: winDig

  • From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:25:00 -0400

What is this program?

Have a great day,
Alex

----- Original Message -----
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 17:17:58 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: winDig

No problem, Jackie. You're right that other programs of mine
launch
documentation with F1. WinDig is a utility with a minimal
interface
(just a listbox for choosing a window to analyze), so one needs
to go
through the Start Menu.

Jamal

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:50:43 -0700
From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok, Jamal, I'm embarrassed now. I've just been invoking WinDig
from
the desktop & didn't even pay attention to the start menu icons
cuz
usually the program contains a help menu item from which the
docs can
be read. So I kind of assumed there weren't any. Sorry. Duh!
feel really stupid now. I don't know if it's age or grief or
what.

On 10/30/07, Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for your feedback and encouragement, Jackie.

Let me make sure you have a full WinDig installation, since the
documentation tries to answer some of your questions. The
installer is
available at
http://www.EmpowermentZone.com/wdsetup.exe
The documentation is displayed at the end of installation, and
is also
available from a shortcut in the WinDig program group of the
Windows
Start Menu.  By default, the full path of this file is
C:\Program Files\WinDig\WinDig.txt

A couple of paragraphs are quoted below. Let me know if you
have
further questions.

Cheers,
Jamal

For the technically curious, WinDig is developed with the
WinBatch
compiler (from WinBatch.com) and the AutoIT library (from
autoITScript.com). For the MSAA analysis, the main program
invokes
another program written in the PowerBasic language (from
PowerBasic.com). Located in the WinDig program folder, the
complete
source code is in the files WinDig.wbt and msaa.bas.

The third category is "Menus." It is a list of all items
available from
the menu bar and subsequent menus. The list uses an outline
numbering
system so you can understand the hierarchy of the menus. On the
same
line after the outline number are other pieces of information
about the
menu item separated by tabs: the name, access letter, hot key,
state,
and ID. Each menu item has a name, but the other pieces of data
ar not
necessarily present.  The ID is a number that may be useful in
automating an application with scripts, since a menu item can be
invoked
by its ID using the SendMessage function of the Windows API.

Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:58:59 -0700
From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: winDig

I'm guessing Jamal wrote this so:
1)  What language was it written in? &
2)  What do the numbers mean, per the following as an example:
1.1     New...  N       Ctrl+N  2
What does the 2 mean?

Great little program, btw--thanks for it & for your
contributions to
the blind programming community as a whole. If u think a reply
would
be better offlist, that's fine--I just thought others may share
the
same questions.

Blessings to all.
--