Re: what is this UI element called?

  • From: "Donald Marang" <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:33:16 -0400

I do not know what this element is called in Python yet. I am just starting to learn Python.

I have worked with these elements in JAWS Scripts. Starting with XP, these elements called HelpBalloons were introduced. In JAWS I had a poorly written application that had incorporated HelpBalloons but did not have the correct window class for JAWS to identify them and announce them. The following window classification in the .JCF file, which is not documented by Freedom Scientific or available in the Window class Reassign utility are shown below.

[WindowClasses]
#32770=HelpBalloon
;  #32770=Shell_TrayWnd
;  #32770=ToolTip

Note that "#32770" was the badly named window class of the application I was scripting. The window class, "Shell_TrayWnd", seems to be commonly used by many applications for HelpBalloons.

In JAWS scripts there are functions available to handle ToolTip and HelpBalloon events for the scripts needs. I would be interested in how Python can generate and / or react to HelpBalloons. So when you find the answer, I would be interested.

Don Marang

From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:03:09 -0400

Ah, I thought so, but when I looked up tooltips, it seemed like
they
were associated with specific items, like items in a list, and
that
did not make sense.  I will have to have another look I guess.

On 3/14/10, Tyler Littlefield <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
it's normally called a tooltip.
Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
http://tds-solutions.net
Twitter: sorressean

On Mar 14, 2010, at 12:38 PM, Alex Hall wrote:

Hi all,
I wonder what a UI element is called so I can look up how to do
it
with WXPython.  The element in question is that little bit of
text that
appears in the lower right of Windows machines.  It is spoken
with the
jaws cursor voice when it appears, and it is impossible to click
using
jaws.  It might say things like
"your computer may be at risk"
or
"Your device is now ready to use"

Does anyone know what it is called in wx? Thanks!

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)