web-dev questions with mysql, php, and others

  • From: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 09:50:53 -0600

Hello list,
I'm writing a little tiney bbs system, just for something to give a few people
for an example on php.
Basically what I want is to refresh somehow with the website so that the newest
posts will come up, without refreshing the whole page and making jaws go crazy.
How can this be achieved?
Second, I have a list in a table with poster's id, and their post with a pid
(post id) that is auto_increment. The oldest message will be the lower id, so I
need a way to sort it out with the highest id being the top, so from highest to
lowest.
Is there a way to do this when I request it from mysql? or do I just have to
reverse the selection when I use php.
I'm not sure how big this will get, but I'd also like to limit it say to max
id-20. so it'd show from 100 to 120, if 120 was the max id, etc, rather than
sending back all messages in a query when it gets to the point where there are
hundreds in the system.

Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
Web: tysdomain.com
email: tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My programs don't have bugs, they're called randomly added features.