Re: web server

  • From: "Marlon Brandão de Sousa" <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:26:40 -0300

Hello Teddy,
a dns is a server wich holds ip adresses and its correspondent names.
When you type www.blindprogramming.com your computer asks a dns server
to give back the corresponding ip address of the blindprogramming.com
and then your computer will access the wanted site.
It is needed to set a dns server address in the linux machine to allow
it to access the internet using names instead of ip addresses. In
slackware, it is as easy as opening /etc/resol.conf and typing
nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx... which should be a valid dns address.
There're several dns addresses available, a google search should give
you addresses of some of these servers. You can put as many addresses
as you want on this file following the nameserver and the address in
each line, so if a server fails the next one will be queried about the
informations.
Marlon

free."
Linus Torvalds