[programmingblind] Re: web page & graphics

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:39:54 -0400

Jackie,
Word stinks as a design tool. Get Notetab Light. When you insert the
pictures from within the document menu, Notetab puts in the correct sizes.
Also, on the web, table cells can be the right size if you calculate
correcly. You should always use percentages of screen width. As a short
hand, use colgroup and col rather than specifying the width of each cell.
That will also make it easier to go back and change the cell widths if you
need to because you only have to change two numbers, not every width in
every cell. Notetab has a table wizard that builds code for you. You can
tell it how many rows and columns you want and it will generate coce fot
the table. All you then have to go back and do is fill in the cells.

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme,
Usability Engineering
Highmark Inc.
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
412-544-1810

"It's more important for me to start to do the right thing than it is to
wait until I think I
can do it just right."

             "Jackie McBride"
             <abletec@xxxxxxxx
             Sent by:                  ProgrammingBlind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       [programmingblind] web page &
                                       graphics
             09/07/2007 11:33
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Blessings, all:

I'm trying to design a web page.  The page is basically a table,
w/info such as catalog number, name of item (which is a link to get
further details), price, & a picture of the item.  The pictures are
photos & vary in size depending on what size the presenter used.  The
picture is the last column in the table.  I'm using Word to make this
web page.  1st, is that the best tool, & 2nd, does anyone have any
insights as to how to prevent &/or detect overlap of the elements?
e.g., I obviously don't want the pictures overlapping the text or vice
versa.  Jaws doesn't let me know there's a graphic there despite
having set it to read all graphics, so, you know, even when I've done
the insert >picture > from file command, I'm not sure it's really even
there.

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Jackie McBride