RE: web accessibility testing

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:24:08 +0100

Jamal,

        You've listed some excellent resources there. It's worth knowing
that automated tools such as Cynthia Says and WebXact can only test a very
small proportion of the recognised guidelines. There are 65 checkpoints
under the W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, but only 5 can be
accurately checked with an automated tool. All the rest require manual input
of some kind.

        508 is a sub set of WCAG, but even so an automated check will not
return a complete picture. Automated tests are ideal for providing a top
line indication. If a site fails an automated check, you can be certain that
it fails to meet the success criteria. What you can't be certain of, is
whether a page that passes an automated check actually has met all the
required success criteria.

The following article gives more on the background for this:
http://www.nomensa.com/resources/articles/accessibility-articles/accessibili
ty-lifecycle.html

Regards,
Léonie