Re: web accessibility testing

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:53:59 -0400

Hi Robby,
For color independence, you will get a clue when you see things like
"required fields in read," "emphasis in yellow," or some other phrasing
like that. For style sheets, the site needs to be 508 compliant when style
sheets are off. The procedure to disable style sheets is different for each
browser you use. Final advice, make sure you understand what problems are
truly 508, which ones are usability, and which ones are your possible lack
of knowledge on how to use a screen reader, assuming you use one.

Thanks.

Jim

James D Homme,
Usability Engineering
Highmark Inc.
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
412-544-1810

"It's more important for me to start to do the right thing than it is to
wait until I think I
can do it just right."

             "Robbie Miller"
             <Robbie@rlmitcons
             ulting.com>                                                To
             Sent by:                  "Blind Programming"
             programmingblind-         <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             bounce@freelists.                                          cc
             org
                                                                   Subject
                                       web accessibility testing
             10/05/2007 10:01
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Hello Listers,
I've been asked to do an accessibility - section 508 evaluation of a web
site.  My question is, how can I test a page to see if it:
1.)    "Remain Independent of Color" and 2.) "Stay Independent of Style
Sheets"?

Are there any tools I can use to do this?
Any help on this would be appreciated.
Also, if there are any resources on web accessibility testing, please let
me
know.

Thank you.
Robbie