Re: visual studio express install

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 05:31:57 -0500

Hi Marv: Firefox has been recommended to me by several other folks as well so I
think I'm going to give it a try. The IE8 problem is that when I click on the
VB.net Download link it just marks that module for download, then I select
English as the language and either hit enter or just tab out of that box. Then
almost immediately a yellow bar pops up saying something like the download is
being blocked. If you are fast enough you can either navigate to that bar and
right click it or hit alt+n. Then hit the space bar really quickly and a list
of things you can do pops up. One option is to download the file. The problem
is that since the download is being blocked nothing happens except that I am
transferred to the Thank You page - nothing is actually downloaded and no
Download popup comes up asking about where you want to download the file or
anything, just transferred to the new page with nothing downloaded. Now,
Windoweyes only has time to get to that Informatiion Bar after hitting alt+n
and start trying to read it before the bar automatically goes away in about 1
or 2 seconds and the transfer to the next page automatically happens. It
actually only got out one or 2 words of the blocked message on the Information
bar before the transfer. So, unless JAWS reads the information bar without
having to navigate to it and read it manually using the keyboard, jaws users
would not know what is going on either. A couple of the guys have used Firefox
to do the download and this is a good option as is using the links that Jamal
provided in an earlier post - I did not try them. My thing is to make the
standard Microsoft stuff work or try and find a work-around for it. That way
new programmers will not have to go outside the native Microsoft Environment to
do anything. Also, they will learn what to look for in the future  if they run
up against another Microsoft application that does the same things that the
current problem does and have a work-around to try before loading up another
third party module like Firefox. This problem could start happening in other
Microsoft Products and in Websites that others who use Microsoft Products
develop like banks or other necessary Companies Websites if they use that same
technique. If I learn to work with that piece of carp now, and figure out and
document the necessary work-around, I will be able to address it in the future
without having to look up something from a third party vendor. But, Firefox is
on my list of things to try out for sure. I think I might have to add the
Microsoft Download page or perhaps the root Microsoft site to my Trusted Pages
or whatever but I am only doing a very little every day concerning this issue.
There are too many headaches and too much stress messing with accessibility
problems.
Later and see you on the flip side Marv:
Rick USA