Re: using breadboards

  • From: "The Elf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:34:09 -0800

lol, odd list to send this to, but I used to do modular electronics, so your in
luck.

firstly, that setup will not do the job, you need to find a basic electronics
tutorial and read it, smile, not ragging on you, just the truth.

there are basic principles that you haven't grasped yet.

for a battery charger, you need the 110 volt (wall) plug, a transformer,  you
need a full  wave rectifier (I'll explain in a minute) and you may want some
filter capacitors, though there not really needed for a bat charger.

now then, your first mistake is that your setup would have put wall type
current, called AC for alternating current, into resisters and batteries which
are DC (direct current) devices , that's a large shocking flam buoy recipe.
number two, you said resisters to bring the current down, yes resisters will
drop current, but not in the way you need it to, this kind and type of current
step down is done with a transformer (that's why so many things with removable
wall plugs have that large box either at the wall end, or in the middle of the
cord, the box is mostly the transformer that reduces the voltage and changes
the amperage of the wall current.
 and without the full or half wave bridge rectifier I mentioned before, your
still plugging DC parts into an ac circuit, another flam buoy!
the full wave bridge rectifier I have been mentioning is the component that
changes the AC current coming out of the transformer into DC current for the
batteries to charge off of.

here is the correct series of components for a simple power supply:

1. 110 volt power plug, which you attach to a specific set of contacts on a 110
AC to... (output voltage equals the number of batteries going into the battery
holder, times 1.5 volts) so if you have a battery clip for 2 batteries, then
its 3 volts, if its four then it's six volts) AC transformer (note here, all
the transformer does is change the voltage and amperage of the power, not its
type, at this point you still have AC current running through the thing).
3. to the output side of the transformer you attach the input leads off the
full wave bridge rectifier (this is the device that changes the power from AC,
to DC so its the same type of current as your batteries).
4. to the output side of the FWBR you can either:
4-1. insert two filter capacitors to screen out noise the circuitry generates,
but this is not needed in a simple charger(*note,! the filter capacitors have
to be hooked up the correct way, one end is positive one negative).
or,
4-2. attach your battery holder, making sure you get the polarity of the wires
correct to the battery holder , or your making a loud bang and a lot of stink
and a hazard out of your batteries.

  another point, this simple setup has no way, like many chargers you buy do
now a days, to tell when the batteries are fully charged, and stop trying to
charge them, and this will heat up, and eventually give you another ka boom.

  the circuitry for a regulator is not to hard, but I can't pull it out of my
head like I can a simple power supply.

  that is the basics of a power supply and it will work as a charger. and it
will not cost much, but why reinvent the wheel, unless your going to try for
some work in the electronics field? which I would not advise, some of the stuff
is extremely complex, and some of it quite delicate, and none of it is marked
in a method that can be  read with our current tech abilities.

  laters,
  inthane