Re: uestion about remotes for pc

  • From: Trouble <trouble1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:24:49 -0400

This and others in its brand can do what you want, its called Haup Pauge PVR 250 TV tuner card.

Also now someone that wrote some scripts for a few programs he uses with it.

At 03:58 PM 6/13/2009, you wrote:
Hi all,
I am trying to convince my family that we should go with a device that broadcasts TV signals over the wifi network, instead of buying new TV units and a DVR or two. I have two questions about this, the first of which is somewhat off topic for this list:

1. Can someone watching TV on a laptop or desktop record what they are watching to a video file, preferably with a free program? No one here has XP Media Center or anything above Vista Home Basic.

2. My grandmother, who lives with us, hates to use a computer but has an intuitive grasp of all things TV/VCR-related that are controlled by a remote. Could I set up a computer so that she can record shows at anytime (live or on a schedule), and control it with a remote? We have plenty of remotes around, and I know I have seen USB/IR converters before, so could I write (or better yet, download) a program that will let her just record, play, pause, stop, and so on with a remote? She does not need music playing, internet, or anything else; the pc would basically emulate a DVD recorder, except with a LOT more storage space and without the annoying messing with disks, erasing disks when they get full, and so on.
Thanks for any help or advice.

Have a great day,
Alex

Tim