Re: trigger question

  • From: Jim Dunleavy <jim.dunleavy@xxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:44:46 +0000

Hi Georg,

I would use a trigger to do that.
A trigger can be disabled explicitly by the alter trigger command,
or by becoming invalid as a result of compilation errors.
I've also seen it happen after an import of a dump file created by a
full export.  I can't remember the exact details, but I think it was because
of some inter-dependency thing.
A trigger suddenly becoming disabled in a production database would be a
sign
of something seriously wrong (database corruption, a rogue DBA?) and would
be
just as likely to happen to any other type of duplication mechanism
based on stored procedures.
If you need to investigate the cause of such strange events, you could
set up DDL triggers which would log the time and date, username, event type,
and object names of these events.  You could set the DDL trigger under
a more secure role than the role of the regular objects so as to minimize
the risk of the DDL trigger itself being disabled.

HTH

--Jim