RE: trees?

  • From: "Rasmussen, Lloyd" <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:32:31 -0400

I don't know what your instructor is doing, but there are at least three
analogs on your computer which can give you part of the picture:  the folder
structure of files or the Windows Registry, and the structure of a complex XML
document.

In the two-pane view of Windows Explorer, the left pane is a tree structure
where you can expand and collapse the branches.  Leaves are files or empty
folders.  The root is in the upper left corner, with branches expanding down
and to the right.

Internet Explorer 8 can display a tree view of any HTML file, if you go to that
file and press Alt-F12 (developer tools).  You can use this program to explore
the relationships among various elements of an XML document.  In the world of
the XPath specification, you can explore how nodes are numbered, treated as
parents, siblings or children, the root element, etc.  There is plenty of XML
to explore, including the PNCX or SMIL file of a digital talking book, or the
contents of a DOCX or ODT document.  The Office 2007/2010 file formats are
really ZIP files containing a lot of XML that is nearly impossible for a human
to read.  Just rename the file as a .zip, unzip it and look inside the
directory structure that is created.

The problem with the folder or XML analogies is that there is a strict
hierarchy of relationships, and there are no connections from one node to
another except through ancestor nodes.

I hope this at least gives you something to think about, and perhaps it even
helps!

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.