Re: quick java question

  • From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 23:32:09 -0500

I think I found what is going on. In your example you don't get input until after you call hasNext... but in my program I call it after I get input. I, too, am quite tired and am heading to bed, but tomorrow when I can type straight I will play with the arrangement of all those little statements until I get something like your example instead of its opposite. Thanks again.

Have a great day,
Alex

From: "Jeffrey Fidler" <jfiddler2@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:53:27 -0500

Here is an example using an integer.  (Sorry, but I had not
remembered that
you were using a double when I began quickly working up this
example, and
I'm off to bed for now.)  Remember that if you enter a char type,
it will
still work as it will output the ascii value!  You can swap the
int for a
double and it should work.  Hope this helps!

import java.util.Scanner;

public class TestInt {

System.out.print("Please enter an integer: ");

Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);

if (sc.hasNextInt()) {

System.out.println("Your integer is " + sc.nextInt());

} else {

System.out.println("You did not enter an integer!");

}

}

}

Kind regards,

Jeff

From: "Suzanne Balik" <spbalik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 21:30:35 -0500 (EST)

You typically use double's rather than float's in Java.  How
about this --
would this work for you?

Scanner sc = new Scanner(System.in);
if (sc.hasNextDouble())
 double value = sc.nextDouble();

I'll be in my office some time after 3:00 PM tomorrow (Friday).
If you
want to send me your code, I can help you with it then.

Suzanne Balik

I tried it, but have changed the var to a float after I sent the
message.  I tried var.hasNextFloat() but I get an error on that
line
that says something like "float cannot be dereferenced".  I am
checking to be sure a number (the var in question) is greater
than 1
but less than another var and so thought I could just put this
simple
statement as another condition in the if statement, but I got
the
above error.  I am using the latest Java.

Have a great day,
Alex

From: "Sina Bahram" <sbahram@xxxxxxxxx
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Date sent: Thu, 29 Nov 2007
07:07:27 -0500

If you're expecting an integer, then you can do

Integer.parseInt(aString)

That will throw a NumberFormatException if it isn't a number.

Take care,
Sina