RE: question about web email

  • From: "DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26" <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:33:25 -0400

Webmail is wide open to virus attack and is actively being attacked as
just another vector into personal computers.  Some organizations have
disabled access to webmail entirely for this reason.  In the light of
that consideration, a separate network connecting only the webmail
computer with no ability to jump to other computers you may have would
be a good idea.  Encryption doesn't buy very much since attack code will
be installed on server sites a personal computer connects to and web
hijacking is a popular form of attack to grab computers connecting to
the web; pull them over onto malware sites, then infect those computers.
There's even an attack against ssl that depends on a user waiting for
the site they've connected to redirecting them to a secure web page but
what actually happens during the attack is a user gets hijacked and
taken to another site not intended by the original web site developer.
One defense against such activity is a revision control system used
properly by a web site owner to compare current web site with archived
and known safe web site contents.  It gives the web site owner the
ability to force a reversion back to known safe content for their web
site.  Of course, setting pweb site permissions correctly is important
too.  More easily done on Linux than windows since a wider variety of
attributes exists.

Rot47: <;F56]52D9:6==@?2GJ]>:=>