parallel universe

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blind-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 22:27:04 -0600

Hi all --
I've been tinkering all day trying to get my old braille embosser to work
with my current laptop.  The problem is that the embosser needs a parallel
connector and the laptop has only USB ports.  I got a USB/parallel adaptor
to connect to the embosser, installed the software for the adaptor and then
tried installing the drivers for the embosser. But when I got to the end
where I pick the parallel port to use, it simply lists lpt1 .. lpt4 and a
fifth selection that I don't remember. I went to the system hardware manager
on the system dialog and looked at the available drivers.
There were no lpt ports -- or even com ports for that matter -- only a
multitude of USB drivers under the USB devices.  So I have no way to tell
the embosser drivers which port to pick.

Someone somewhere (maybe it was here??) suggested I order a PCMCIA-parallel
adaptor. It wasn't at radio shack or best buys, but I did find one on the
net and ordered it.  It was a whopping $129.

Not wanting to give up on my current configuration I decided to try
something else. And ere is where I would like to ask for advice.  I went to
"add new hardware" on the control panel and created a dummy lpt port.  I
just wanted to see if there was a way to tell this driver to access the data
coming from the relevant USB port that has the parallel adaptor on it
connected to the embosser.

Whew. I'm tired.
First, am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't understand the purpose of
that USB to parallel adaptor in the first place. Wouldn't this problem crop
up for any device that requires a parallel connector?

I just wanted to save some money and also get my embosser functioning again
as my 2 previous laptops are lying dead under my desk.

TIA for any assistance.
--le