Re: networking question

  • From: "Christy Schulte" <christy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 02:01:58 -0600

Curious, is there a screen reader on your mom's computer, and if so which one?

If she happens to have an installed version of system access on there, I might be able to help. It sounds like one of two things happened, either the internet security settings got messed up, or the DNS, the part that lets you know what the english versions of web addresses and such actually go to, got hosed somehow. Unfortunately I can't really trouble shoot without getting into the system itself, and SA is pretty good at making the remote stuff happen even if other things aren't working quite like they should.

If you know how to do this, you might also want to look at the TCPIP settings and make sure they're set right. It's odd that OE works but the browsers don't.

Also, for future reference, it's never necessary to uninstall one browser in order to use another. I can explain more of that if you want, but don't want to bore you if you already have figured that part out.
Christy

----- Original Message ----- From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx> To: <blind-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:21 PM
Subject: networking question

Hi all --
We have had a little dynamic at my house trying to get my mother's computer working on the internet again. It is partially working, allowing email with
OE, but she can't get either IE or firefox to connect her to the internet.

The scenario started with her request to me to uninstall firefox so she
could use IE to read a page with flash content. I foolishly did what she
wanted. When she discovered IE wasn't working to her liking she wanted
firefox back. I didn't have a copy handy, so I rolled back the OS a day.
Now she has firefox back but not working, and IE is not connecting either.
She is in serious internet withdrawal and needs to get back running or risk
a major meltdown (just kidding of course).

I should say my mother's machine is set up to be run remotely by my nephew,
who helps my very tech unsavvy mom with her computer work. I was working
with my nephew this morning trying to connect to Mom's machine directly
behand the router firewall, but it fails. I went onto the router and opened
a port so my nephew could try and connect, and something wasn't right and
kicked him off.

If any of this makes sense and if you have an idea what I can do to assist
my nephew and mom, please feel free to post.
I am not a networking guru. My nephew is but he is not available 24/7.

Major thanks to any useful tips.
--le