networking question

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 23:21:12 -0600

Hi all --
We have had a little dynamic at my house trying to get my mother's computer
working on the internet again. It is partially working, allowing email with
OE, but she can't get either IE or firefox to connect her to the internet.

The scenario started with her request to me to uninstall firefox so she
could use IE to read a page with flash content. I foolishly did what she
wanted. When she discovered IE wasn't working to her liking she wanted
firefox back. I didn't have a copy handy, so I rolled back the OS a day.
Now she has firefox back but not working, and IE is not connecting either.
She is in serious internet withdrawal and needs to get back running or risk
a major meltdown (just kidding of course).

I should say my mother's machine is set up to be run remotely by my nephew,
who helps my very tech unsavvy mom with her computer work. I was working
with my nephew this morning trying to connect to Mom's machine directly
behand the router firewall, but it fails.  I went onto the router and opened
a port so my nephew could try and connect, and something wasn't right and
kicked him off.

If any of this makes sense and if you have an idea what I can do to assist
my nephew and mom, please feel free to post.
I am not a networking guru. My nephew is but he is not available 24/7.

Major thanks to any useful tips.
--le