RE: math behind a puzzle

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:36:19 -0500

This page might help

http://www.8puzzle.com/8_puzzle_algorithm.html

-----Original Message-----
From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alex Hall
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:55 PM
To: programmingblind
Subject: math behind a puzzle

Hi all,
While this is not strictly programming, I wonder if anyone can point
me to a place where I can find out about a general solution to a
puzzle. The puzzle is simply eight tiles, each of which can be slid
up, down, left, or right. They are numbered 1-8 and are on a grid with
9 squares, so one square is empty to let the pieces slide. There has
to be a mathematical way of figuring out (A) how many moves would be
required to solve this and (B) what those moves are.
Again, this is not programming, but I suspect that I will eventually
run into something like it on http://www.projecteuler.net...

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)