load balancing with mysql

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:40:34 -0600

hello all:
I've started work on a web-based game that I expect I'll have a large player base on when it actually gets up and running, so here's my question. Thinking ahead (since apache doesn't scale very well), I'm looking at how I'd set up load balancing with mysql. I can get more servers as I need them, and I plan on having 2 at least starting out with in two data centers. What I had planned on doing was using round-robbin or some sort of main server (which kind of kills the point of multiple servers) that will equally balance the load out across multiple servers. This game is purely mysql driven though, so I'm curious how people deal with distributed databases? How would you keep the databases in 4 data centers updated and in sync?

--

Take care,
Ty