Re: laptop overheating!

  • From: "The Elf" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 16:10:24 -0700

hmmm, things to look for:
only determining if the fan is running, and sometimes in the BIOS there is a temperature readout, your friend could check that, if the CPU temp is over 72 degrees its too hot, though from your description it should not be.

you can also, for a cheap cool down effect, place four plastic soda bottle lids, one under each corner to lift the unit and keep the lid up for greater cooling.

then you can get a USB powered cooling mat for around 25 to 30 dollars at any target store let along several at any computer store online or off.

if you still get shutdowns or if the CPU temp reading is over 72, send it back, you got a flawed unit, happens all to often, I went through two acer netbooks before I got one that worked right, manufacturing standards are not as high quality as they once were, and most manufactures are falling down on the job.

HTH,
elf
proprietor, The Grab Bag,
for blind computer users and programmers
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
"own the might and majesty of a Alacorn!"
www.alacorncomputer.com
Owner: Agemtree
"merchants in fine facetted and cabochon gemstones"
www.agemtree.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Alex Hall" <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>