RE: jaws and seven:accessibility, settings, etc.

  • From: "D!J!X!" <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 18:37:53 -0400

Yea, it's a good lot of eye candy, things look glassy/transparent, with more
visual effects. Windows operate faster (visually)  as long as you have the
required graphics hardware. If you are running a display mirror driver, such
as the fs video interface/fs video display drivers, or some remote desktop
apps drivers, windows will automatically shut off aero. AERO is sort of a
separate direct x 10 application, which means that all of its processing is
done on the video card/GPU. As a system builder one thing that I run into a
lot, specially when building computers for recording is people wanting to
turn off aero to save power. This actually puts some of the load back on the
CPU to do the visual work with the windows, back to the old way of doing
things; aero as I mentioned is designed to run and completely take advantage
of the GPU and its power, saving the CPU extra  processing power. In tests
that we've done, turning off aero doesn't yield any faster results, it
actually slows the system down in certain occasions.
To keep this on topic, question: when programming for the newer windows, is
there a special/new API to make your program use aero, or does windows take
care of that automatically? Because I know some older programs run through
the desktop notification system or whatever it's called, where windows
notifies you of the program's dialogs, the program's interface does not
display...

HTH, D!J!X!