Re: is there an accessible way to learn Computer organization&architecture?

  • From: Suzanne Balik <spbalik@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 14:10:53 -0500

Here is a website at the University of Washington that has tactile versions of graphical images in the textbook Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach, 3rd Ed., 2002, by Hennessy and Patterson:

http://tactilegraphics.cs.washington.edu/comp-architecture/

Perhaps it would be helpful.

Suzanne Balik

Alex Hall wrote:
I am in that class at college, and it is really hard!!! I have had a sighted student use Wiki Sticks to make diagrams of things, either that or thermoform. We are doing caches right now and I have NO idea what is going on, and the stupid textbook makes no sense because the guy reading keeps talking about the diagram he failed miserably in describing. I am glad this semester will be over in a week. To answer your question, you will most likely need sighted help, and help that is very good at describing images and adapting them at that. I wish there was another way, I really do, but the problem with circuitry like this is that it is too small to feel and no one has made a largeer scale model of it to use as a hands-on example.

Have a great day,
Alex