Re: is oracle accessible with jaws?

  • From: Robert J Smith <rsmith247@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:56:32 -0400

Hi, I believe modules 1 and 3 will be fine, but there could be things in
Reports that could give you grief, like making the report display
acceptable to the user / prof because you may have to create things or
type text in fields called a layout that JAWS won't work with.  However,
I've heard that there are a few different Oracle tools for the writing of
reports.  The one I have had the most experience with and know of its
trouble areas is called Oracle Reports Builder.  You can, however, write
the basic .sql query for the report.

As far as forms go, this is doable for making your own forms, but
maintaining aspects of other programmers' forms can present probblems if
you have to modify their field labels.  All sighted Oracle programmers
I've known on my job make their field labels in something called the
layout editor which JAWS won't work with at all, unless accessibility with
these has improved a lot in the past couple years.  There is a workaround
for your own forms which is to create a field on the form inside something
called the properties.  You can check a field type called "display class"
and fill in the X and Y coordinates for the field manually in the
properties to tell Oracle Forms where the field is supposed to appear on
the screen.  That works just as well and looks just as good as the layout
editor way.

Also, if your forms are going to run as web applications and you want to
see what color a given field is, all JAWS will say is "black on black"
even if you code what color the field is supposed to be in the field
properties when you are making the form.

Bob Smith
Programmer Analyst Sr Professional
CSC
6125 E. 21st Street MS 32 Indianapolis IN, USA 46219-2058
Global Outsourcing Services | p; +1-317.306.3463 |
f: +1-317.306.4253 | rsmith247@xxxxxxx | www.csc.com

delivery.
purpose.

From:
Michael Dias <mchllmdds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:
<programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:
03/25/2011 09:20 AM
Subject:
is oracle accessible with jaws?

Hello everyone

I need to select modules for my second and third year degree. I have the
option of choosing computing with database systems. I have several
compulsory modules, which involves using oracle. I would like to know if
oracle is accessible with jaws.

In my first module I will need to write SQ: L commands prompts, is this
accessible in oracle?
Second module involves creating web forms and reports through oracle.
Third module involves creating your own server as administrator using
oracle 10/11g.

Do you think I will be able to complete all three compulsory modules
above? If not please let me know as I will then have to choose a different
pathway with different modules.

Any feedback in regards to oracle is welcome
 Thanks
Michael