installations and the registry in win7

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 20:56:07 -0500

Greetings all --
I'm in the process of loading needed software packages to a new, nearly
empty windows7 computer.
In particular, I need mercurial, which is implemented in python, and so I
also need to install python.

When I tried installing mercurial without python, it printed an error that I
needed python 2.6.  So I went to python.org, and the closest I could find
was 2.7.2.  I downloaded and installed that, but when I went back to try and
install mercurial again, it gave the same error -- something about needing
python 2.6 which it looked for and didn't find in the registry.

These installers are all binaries, so I have no idea what registry entries
mercurial is looking for.

Does anyone have advice? I suppose I could get the mercurial source and
compile it with python 2.7.2.  But really, I think there should be a simpler
solution.

TIA for any comments.

www == "wrestling with windows"...*smile*
--le