Re: functional programming

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 17:12:23 +0200

Hi Jared,
I like the mix of functional and imperative features. But pure
functional programming is annoying, probably due to the syntax with
speech, say in Lisp. If you know Perl, higher-order Perl offers a mix of
both styles:

http://hop.perl.plover.com/

What I've found useful in coding include:
- Map, grep, zip and the rest of the lot including the functional stuff
in Ruby's ENumerable and Perl's List::MoreUtil
- Closures, anonymous function factories, memoization
- The basic idea behind lazy iterators
- Recursion and manual tail call optimization
- Playing with symbol tables to do module exporting, reflective library
features and so on.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila