Re: filedir and some ideas

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:34:08 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions about FileDir, which I am saving
for further reflection.  Let me make sure you are ware of a few
capabilities at this time.

An option in the FileDir program group of the Windows Start Menu causes
FileDir to automatically be used when opening a directory from the
Windows Start/Run prompt or equivalent.  This also causes FileDir to be
opened for zip archives.

You can find a file based on a combination of a wildcard pattern and
text it contains using the FileFind command, Alt+Shift+F, which searches
subdirectories as well.  Within the same directory, the Jump command,
Control+J, finds a file based on text in its name.  The Keywords
command, Control+K, finds a file based on text it contains, where
multiple and/or conditions are supported.

Pressing Enter on a file opens it with the default program associated
with its extension, which is like entering the file name at the Windows
Start/Run prompt.  The Send To Text Editor command, Control+T, loads the
file into the text editor you configure in the Options dialog -- TextPal
by default.  Another command, Send to Word Processor (Control+W) may be
used to send the file to another program for editing or another use --
Microsoft Word by default.

Copy and Move commands prompt whether to override an existing file, or
whether to do so based on a date comparison.  One also is informed
whether files with the same names are different in size.  One can tell
FileDir to make the same decision for all subsequent files with the same
names within the processing of a batch copy or move.  The FTP Get, Web
Download, and Unzip commands do not compare file names -- they just
overwrite.  I've thought of implementing the same comparison dialog, but
it's quite a bit of coding and haven't gotten to it.  Personally, I
generally want the source files to overwrite the same targets in these
situations.  If this is a concern, I suggest transfering to a new
folder, and then doing a copy or move to another folder that may include
similar targets.

the Open Drive command, Alt+Shift+O, lists all drives in a standard
listbox.  Any command that presents the dialog to specify a directory
includes a Browse button that invokes the standard Windows Browse for
Folder dialog, which includes a treeview.

If anyone experiences what seems to be a bug, please tell me a specific
sequence of steps I can use to reproduce and debug the problem.

Regards,
Jamal