Re: ewby on programming need some tips and tricks

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:40:16 +0200

And in addition I would like to say that C++ is also used for the apps that should run very fast like a web server, a database management system, or applications made for displaying video. Of course, the main apps could be made with another language, but the core libraries are usually made in C/C++.

However, it is not likely that a beginner will start by thinking that he will work for creating this type of apps.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamal Mazrui" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:12:59 -0500 (EST)
From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

With dynamic languages, bugs are caught by either automated "unit
testing" or real world, user testing.  Having used both strongly and
weakly typed languages, I find it rare that the compiler catches an
error that I do not find in a dynamic language by actually testing the
feature I have programmed.

Even C++ experts have a challenging time preventing memory leaks in
their code, which then lead to system instability.  I would only
recommend C++ if one is taking computer science courses and can learn
all the techniques for managing memory correctly.  A beginner who tries
to learn C++ by him or herself is likely to get frustrated and quit!
Other languages, on the other hand, provide reinforcement through
earlier success at creating nontrivial programs.  I would now only
recommend C++ to someone doing system-level utilities.  There are almost
always more productive alternatives otherwise.

Jamal