Re: ewby on programming need some tips and tricks

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 22:36:04 +0200

If you name the variable with a certain name (with a capital) then refer it without a capital it will give you a compilation error even in the dynamic languages which are not strongly typed.

The strongly typeness is helpful for other things. If you define a variable as integer and try to store a string in it, the program would give you an error.

But this just make the effort of making the program bigger, not because you need to define those type of vars, but because you might need to do many conversions from a type to another.

Octavian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Jamal Mazrui" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
Studies have found that programmer productivity is significantly
affected by how many lines (or words) of code are required to accomplish
a task.  Thus, if other factors are equal, a language like Java or C# is
likely to be less productive than others that do not require declaration
of types and use of punctuation symbols.  I understand that strong
typing is intended to increase the reliability of code.

I also agree with this, and I can say that strongly type declarations only don't really increase the reliability.

I find that C# and Visual Basic .NET are friendlier to read with a
screen reader than languages that originate on Unix platforms such as
Python.  This is because .NET uses a consistent mixed case convention
and screen readers pronounce the different parts of a syntax element in
a more intelligible manner.  Unix-based languages often use all lower
case, cramming words togetherFor example, a built-in Python class for
prompting for and retrieving a password (without echoing characters to
the screen) is called getpass.  The same thing in .NET would be GetPass.

Well, I don't really agree with this, but maybe this is also because english is not my native language... I don't know. Anyway, in perl it would have been something like get_pass, so if I would be hearing that there is an underline involved, I would know that those words make a single word. But if I would hear something like GetPass, I wouldn't know if what I read was get pass, or GetPass, because the screen reader would read it the same. So I have a positive point for python :-) (because I think python can also use underlines).

Because Unix-based languages often wrap Win32 libraries in their Windows
implementations, there is also a problem of inconsistency about casing.
One often has to guess whether all lower case is used in the name of a
method, lower camel case (the first part is lower case), or upper camel
case (each part begins with upper case).  When a language is case
sensitive, if the guess from memory is incorrect, time is then spent

Yes this happends in perl also, and I also don't like it. Of course, it is not something obligatory like python's indentation, but it usually happends.

I think Perl has the best documentation for 3rd party packages, on
average.  I can install a package and then explore an HTML subfolder of
the Perl program folder, where I usually will find documentation.

Well, I have never used that way, because I find other ways of reading the documentation in perl even easier.

The main way is to define a shortcut in TextPad (my perl editor) which if it is used, it pops a text field where I can type the name of the module I want to read the documentation for, or the name of the built in function.
So if I want to read the documentation for the module DBI, I just do:
- press Control+Shift+E
- type DBI and press enter.

And the documentation is displayed in a new document window where I can use the search function for finding a certain text and read from there, or just read it like any other common text document.

Sometimes, when the documentation for a big module is also very big, I use to go to
search.cpan.org
type the module name and press enter, then I press enter on the module I want, which usually it is the first. This way I can use the HTML version of the documentation, exactly like you do locally, and in this version it is easier to navigate because there are headings, links, lists and other HTML elements that make the navigation easier.

Python's pydoc utility is not as easy to use, in my opinion.  Neither is
Ruby's equivalent.

Perl, Python, and Ruby make installing 3rd party packages much easier
than C# or Visual Basic. Simple, command-line tools are available for
searching for, downloading, and installing such packages.

Of any language I have tried to learn, I have found Perl the most
difficult. For example, If I have not worked with it for a while, I often
forget the exact syntax for working with an array or hash that contains
non-scalar elements.

It doesn't happen to me because I use it very often, but due to the fact that it is pretty different than other languages, it could be true.

An advantage of .NET development is that one can use either a
command-line compiler or IDE, or combination of both, that are
accessible.  Another advantage is the ease of creating stand-alone
executables without extra cost. py2exe is a valuable tool for Python but
I do not find it easy to use.

ActiveState perl developer kit is very easy to use, and Java has the same advantage as C# because it can be written with a common editor or with Eclipse (or another environment). The real advantage of C# I think it is the fact that it can create forms easier with the designer from VS.net, while Java doesn't offer this feature (an accessible one).

Octavian